Thursday, August 22, 2013

6 Steps to Fit: A Hot Mama's Tried & True Tips


I am a sucker for a great motivational/inspirational story and luckily I am blessed enough to personally know someone who fits that bill. Meet Christine. She's a super fit, hot mama and wife that also has a full-time career and full-time social life. Her journey to becoming fit will practically force you to put down that tub of organic ice cream (organic doesn't mean it won't add to the circumference of your buttocks) and implement some of her most  tried and true tips that helped to chisel her physique.
 
 
I got the chance to ask this fit mama about her own inspirations for creating a healthier life, as well as her secrets to such an awesome bod. Her enthusiasm and joie de vivre are certainly something to aspire to. With any luck, after reading this, some of her passion will rub off on you.
 

What motivated you to become healthier?
 
"First let me start off by saying- it takes 30 days to create a habit and with working out and eating right, it takes one day of not doing either of these things to ruin a good habit. What I found is that we don't set goals that are realistic. We want instant results and we are looking for a quick fix. After years of running countless miles and trying to starve myself, eat no carbs, eat all carbs, count calories and eat-one-meal-a-day diets, I was done! I looked at a picture of myself taken on 12/31/10 at the stroke of midnight leading to 2011 on my digital camera and said 'Oh my God, I am so fat... my arms are bigger than my husbands!'

I decided right then and there that I am doing something about it and I am going to do it right! I decided to go to Weight Watchers and I fell in love with the program. I lost 8 lbs. the first week. I couldn't believe I could (and continued to) lose weight each week eating food!"
 
How has your fit journey changed you/your life?
 
"I had been trying to get pregnant for 2.5 years and could not figure out why. Honestly, it was because I was fat (yes I was fat). The reason I know this is because the day I lost my 40th lb. I took a test and was with baby! I later found out I had a bad thyroid and, by eating correctly and losing the weight I was able to get pregnant.

After having my son, I waited a month before I started applying Weight Watchers to my diet again. I slowly adding jogging (due to my C-section it was harder for me to do all the things I did before I got pregnant) and in time, I was a running machine. Then- it happened...total plateau! I was at a loss and  started making bad eating choices and slacking on workouts. Finally, I got my head back in the game when I was introduced to circuit training. I started seeing results again but I just knew that there was a leaner, thinner me inside. Then, I found out about a group 90 day challenge and Shakeology. The shakes help with appetite, cravings for sweets and even make me not want to smoke. I quit as soon as I found out I was pregnant; however, after I had the baby and long after, I would get horrible cravings to light up. Since I started Shakeology ... not a craving!

I started a 60 day regime of Insanity with Shaun T. and saw amazing results. I currently am the 30 day transformation winner and have even been called 'little Ms. Amazing' by two of the head coaches!  This group holds you accountable for your actions, so you don't want to cheat, miss drinking your shakes or miss a workout. I have more energy now than I did when I was 15! People are always asking me 'how do you it?' All I say is that 'I feel too good about myself to feel bad ever again.' It has changed my life in unimaginable ways!"
 
What would you say to the women who say they are too busy or too tired to make healthier lifestyle choices?
 
"I workout 6 days a week- sometimes twice- and when people say 'I just don't have time', I say 'yes you do!' Do  you have time to go on social media for 25 minutes, eat a double cheeseburger for lunch or watch your favorite shows at night? You have to make time! You deserve it and so does your body!
I am a runner, so I take my son on 3- 5 mile runs with me.  No excuses- take your child with you and you can even incorporate your child into your workout! My son is 19 months old and when I say 'lets do push ups', he does them. When I say 'squat time- drop it likes it's hot', he does! You have to make these changes and make them work for you!"
 
Who did/do you look up to for "fitspiration" (fitness inspiration)?
 
"Right now, my biggest inspiration is myself and that of my group challenge coach's transformation. In 60 days I went from a size 13 to a size 8! I completed a full round of Insanity, including 60 days of sweat-dripping-off-your-body work outs that you think may never end and have you saying 'oh my God, I am not doing this workout again'... but you do, because you can't believe the abdominal lines forming on the side of your stomach! My coach's progress has truly challenged me along this journey. Now, I am so ready to help others get that body they have dreamed of as a Beachbody coach."
 
What are some of your favorite healthy snack swaps in place of the usual high fat snacks like chips or snack cakes?
 
"Hummus- a good, salty treat that I like to eat with pita chips or raw veggies.
Cool Whip- a sweet treat to freeze with fruit and make 'ice cream'
Sesame teriyaki cashews- a salty, protein packed snack
Laughing Cow cheese- they can be used as a spread for your sandwich instead of mayo! I never, ever eat mayo and I don't miss it either.
Popcorn/tortilla chips -  stay away from pretzels... everyone thinks they are good for you. Guess what? They are a horrible 'fat free' snack.
Greek yogurt- frozen or plain, it can be used in place of sour cream. If you have a sweet tooth for ice-cream and cool whip isn't doing the trick, try this.
 
I have even made chocolate chip cookies made with hummus- yes, you heard me right- hummus." Do your own research on swaps for your favorite snacks. It's fun to see what you can come up with!
 
 
What is your current fitness routine for a typical week?
 
A typical workout week is: Monday-Saturday: Insanity; Thurs., Fri. and Sunday: Supplement Insanity with runs. I just started BODYPUMP and TurboFire.  
BODYPUMP is a weight-lifting rep. effect workout and TurboFire is a high-impact cardio circuit training program. Note: it is the fastest moving workout I have ever done. I do not recommend it to any beginners! I also run anywhere from 2-5 miles, 3 days a week! I have been working out for years, so I needed to increase my cardio and fitness level to meet my needs. Here is an example of what I would recommend to a beginner:

 
 
What are your top, tried and true, tips to becoming more fit?
  1. Create a plan with realistic goals. "Two lbs. of weight loss per week is ideal."
  2. Measure, don't weigh in for your progress. "I would cry crocodile tears after working out all week and the scale wasn't moving, then I started measuring. Ahh the proof is in the tape!"
  3. Create and stick to a Meal Plan. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Bring healthy snacks with you on road trips, to parties, BBQ's, etc. People laugh at me but, I don't care! Add fish into your diet and curb your intake of red meat. Incorporate whole grains, like Ezekiel Bread, which can be found in the freezer section at your local Publix grocery."
  4. Treat yo' self. "Give yourself a cheat meal, not a cheat day. Cheat days tend to bring back the 'old ways' of eating."
  5. Set aside at least 25 minute's a day to workout. "You will see once you start a regimen that you magically have 45 minutes to do an extra run, cardio circuit or, some Pilates!"
  6. Say NO. "Diet drinks- they are bad for you, end of story. Plus, the sodium content is out of this world!" Choose plain, or natural fruit-infused water. It's so simple to make!

There you have it. The secrets of a fit mama all laid out neat and nice for you. Sometimes it's hard to say "no" to your most favorite, decadent dessert every once in a while, or finish the last 5 minutes of a workout you think is too much for you, but for me- knowing Christine's story helps me to do so and also a little bit more. Are you ready to start your own journey to fit?

Christine can be reached at: www.myshakeology.com/cmehlenbacher and also at www.teambeachbody.com where you can create a free profile and search for her Coach ID (278399).

Love & "fitspiration",
Charnelle

P.S.- Everyone's desires and needs are different, so be mindful of that before beginning any workout plan and consult with a health professional.

1 comment: